The scale and design of Jimbour make it clear that it was always intended that it should serve many purposes beyond that of a family residence. Necessarily, it in many ways functioned more as a centre for the community.
Inevitably, therefore, it became a venue for significant events in the days of the Bell family, a role which has continued.
On 25 November 1925, Wilfred and Millicent Russell hosted a function to celebrate the reopening of Jimbour. Over 1200 people attended, the whole community having been invited. The proceeds of the occasion were donated to the Dalby Hospital. For one lady’s recollection, click here.
Functions were held during World War II to support the war effort.
For many years, Jimbour was the venue for an annual community fête conducted by the Jimbour branch of the The Queensland Country Women’s Association, of which Hilary Russell was an enthusiastic supporter.
In more recent years, major functions have included a commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the reopening function, and the dedication of the Northern Garden to the memory of Deborah Russell.