Jimbour Outbuildings

The Station Store

There was a very good store at the station, in the charge of S. Grimley, where almost everything in reason, including grocery, clothing, boots etc., was stocked. All extras required by the shepherd could be ordered by him and delivered with his ration, next trip of the carrier.

G.H. Routley, Old Jimbour and the Darling Downs

The Bulletin, 1953

The Station Store dates from around 1864 and was part of the earliest period of development ay Jimbour. It was designed by noted Queensland architect Benjamin Backhouse.


The Bluestone Building

The Bluestone Building (1868) was the third dwelling to be built at Jimbour Station.

The first was a small hut erected in the 1840s which served as a residence for the then Manager, Mr Henry Dennis.

Another residence, a wooden slab house, was built for Jimbour’s first owner, Richard Scougall. The Bell family occupied the home on arrival in 1847 until the building was destroyed by fire in June 1868.

The original bluestone cottage which replaced that residence was of two storeys. The building appears to have faced north with a central hall. Other rooms opened from a southern veranda on two levels. An external stair provided access to the upper level and a covered way connected the homestead to a detached kitchen to the south.

The plan was unconventional for Australian homesteads of that time. It related more to the English farm house in which rooms were arranged lineally and stock was housed under the same roof as family and staff.

The Bluestone Building served as the Bell family residence until the present Jimbour House was ready for occupancy in 1877.

In the 1930s the upper level was found to be beyond repair and was removed to re-establish the integrity of the structure you see today.

The building is now used as staff quarters.


The Chapel

The Jimbour Chapel was constructed in 1868.

It is rectangular in plan with the sanctuary under a separate roof at one end and the porch at the other. Inside, the main roof is supported by scissor trusses with a ceiling of local timber. The nave is lit by small lancet windows with original coloured glass. Carved alter rails, font and timber pews enhance the setting.

Religious observance was an important and continuing part of life a Jimbour from the time of its establishment in 1841.The Reverend Benjamin Glennie, pioneering Anglican priest of the Darling Downs, recorded celebrating a “hearty service” at Jimbour in 1851.


In addition to providing the venue for services for various denominations, the Chapel served as the first Jimbour School in 1873 at a time when many families lived and worked on the vast property which then covered some 300,000 acres. The Chapel was also used as a cinema in the 1940s and 1950s. To accommodate this use the porch roof was raised to include a small film projection room above the door. This roof porch was restored to its original design in 2010 as part of restoration of the Chapel by Matthew Darmody, Joel Jackson, Bradley Martin and  Phil Holder.

The interior of the Chapel contains eight icons created by Brisbane icon writer William Lawrence.

There are three groups of icons. On either side of the chancel are icons depicting St Agnes, commonly regarded as the patron saint of the wool industry, representing Jimbour’s original pastoral activity, and St Lawrence, the patron saint of winemakers, representing Jimbour’s more recent commercial ventures.


On each of the sides of the main body of the Chapel are two icons representing the European heritage of Jimbour in the form of the patron saints of the four kingdoms comprising the United Kingdom at the time of Jimbour’s settlement. St Patrick (Ireland) represents the Bell family origins. St Andrew, St Charles and St David represent respectively Scotland, England and Wales. St Charles (King Charles I, who is a saint in the Anglican tradition) was chosen to represent England rather than the customary St George because Hilary Russell’s ancestors, the Verneys, were prominent supporters of the King, even though Sir Edmund Verney was a parliamentarian at the time.

Between each of these pairs of icons are icons representing Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom) and Hagia Eirene (Holy Peace), the two great churches of Constantinople built after the adoption of Christianity as the official religion of the Roman empire.

>> click here for a full listing of the icons with photos.

The Water Tower

The Water Tower was erected in the 1870s and provided pressurised water to the whole of the station settlement.

The Tower was supplied with water from the first windmill to be built on the Darling Downs. Today it remains an integral part of Jimbour Station’s water supply system.

The tank is cast iron and the supports are eight single spotted gum tree trunks. The chamfer-board cladding has been part of the structure from the time of its construction.

In the 1950s the inside of the Tower was refurbished as accommodation for station staff. The extension on the southern side was added in the 1970s.

Since 2002 the Water Tower has been utilised as a Visitor Centre and Cellar Door.


The Bell Family Monument

Also dating from the Station’s early period is the monument erected by the Bell family to Sir Joshua Peter Bell following upon his death in 1881, to which a further tablet was added in memory of Joshua Thomas Bell upon his death in 1911.

In 2002 a further tablet was added, with the approval of the Bell Family, in memory of Lady Bell.


The RAAF Mustang Propellor

Between the Water Tower and the Chapel is an ‘Aeroproducts Airscrew’ which was originally fitted to a RAAF Mustang P-51K Fighter Aircraft. Mustangs were flown from 1945 to 1955 by members of the Royal Australian Air Force, in which Flight Lieutenant Charles Russell, Air Commodore Sir Walter Campbell AC QC and Wing Commander David Russell RFD QC all served.

The plaque on the propeller stand was unveiled by Royal Australian Air Force South East Queensland Legal Reserve Panel Leader, Group Captain David Montgomery on 10 October 2009.

The Summer House

The Summer House was constructed in Deborah Russell’s memory in 2012.  It is located at the south-eastern corner of the garden, overlooking the amphitheatre.

The structure combines the restrained use of traditional form and detailing to achieve a contemporary yet sympathetic architectural expression. Features such as the sandstone post plinths and timber-louvered valence panels refer to similar existing details on the northern verandah of the main house. The simpler Quad-profile guttering is used in lieu of the more elaborate Ogee-profile guttering on the main house. Sandstone veneer is incorporated into the base of the Summer House in lieu of the ashlar sandstone of the main house. Square-dressed timber fascias are used in lieu of the beaded fascias on the main house. A simple, square-dressed handrail is detailed in lieu of the existing moulded handrail detail on the house. By these material and detail variations, a clear expression of the modernity is achieved whilst being of a form and style which sits comfortably in the Victorian-era rural homestead setting.